Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Confession...I'm Tired...

You may have noticed my entries have dropped off drastically.  I didn't feel I had anything witty enough to contribute.  I was/am so tired I can hardly make it through the day.  I get home from work and collapse on the couch.  Frequently, I fall asleep and then a few hours later Brian will wake me up and tuck me into bed. 

I don't want to go anywhere when I get home. I don't want to talk to anyone.  I don't want to do anything.  I don't want to run anymore.  I don't even want to take Bear for a walk...and that's part of his prescription from his vet for his health, too...

My body hurts.  I have a headache (though not always a migraine) as often as not. 

I honestly was reluctant to try to do anything about how I felt.  What do you make an appointment for? "I don't feel good?"  Well, I didn't, but that seemed silly to me.  I didn't know if I was just super stressed (YES!); after all, my mother had just had a major surgery for a stage one cancer (remission now, no worries).  My grandfather is still healing six months later in a hospital from a staph infection he contracted at Christmas.  This blog exists because of what Brian and I went through with his cancer.  Just a little stress.

Well, I felt silly making a doctor appointment for stress.  Buck up, Buttercup.  Geez.  You are not the only person with problems.  So you are tired.  So is everyone else.  But y'all.  Seriously, I could barely function.  I really hurt. 

So, finally I couldn't stand it anymore.  And rather than say I didn't "feel good" when I made the appointment, I said my headaches had increased.  That wasn't a lie.  It was just only part of it.

My doctor listened patiently as I verbally vomited everything that had happened recently.  I got a little emotional. She sweetly gave me a tissue.  She reassured me that I could have made the appointment for "not feeling good."  That's allowed.  Who knew?  "How do you diagnose that?"  I asked.  "We start with lab work," she said.  It had been years since blood work had been done on me.

I waited for a few days and yesterday the call came with a few answers.  No thyroid problem. Crap. The weight gain is my fault.  Cholestorol is a little high.  Crap.  And pretty anemic.  We just don't know why yet. So, a prescription iron pill.  Crap (or not for those of you who know what taking iron does to a girl.)  And Vitamin D to add a little extra pep. 

I have to go back next Friday for more bloodwork to make sure the iron is working.  To make sure the anemia isn't a symptom of something else.  I'm hoping NOT obviously, but while they are working on those results I'll be in the Caribbean on a cruise so I'll try not to dwell on it and get my Vitamin D the old-fashioned way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment