Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011

I just took down our calendar from 2011.  It was on the inside of the pantry door, so I hadn't paid much attention to it.

As I took it down I looked at each month and what was chronicled there.  I still can't believe sometimes how much God trusts us with.  Sheesh.

January 2011

Pretty low key, actually.  Rose Bowl watching party, Jiggle Butt 5k with Julie, English conference in Galveston.  Brian's last treatment was in December so it was a waiting game until March when he had his scan to tell us whether he was in remission.

February 2011

By this time my grandfather had been in the hospital since the day after Christmas with cellulitis in his leg.  This would develop into an ugly staph infection that he ultimately would never really recover from.  But on February 5th he had another birthday.  This time we had to meet as a family in the hospital waiting room with cake and presents.  We were also out for a week for snow days from school and the Super Bowl in Arlington was just ruined.  Hee hee.

March 2011

We missed a very wet Mardi Gras because back in the fall of 2010 when it was time to make those plans, Brian had just been diagnosed.  We felt that he wouldn't be very comfortable jammed in with all the party goers.  On March 17th, we got the news we were waiting for...REMISSION.  We declared it Brian's new birthday (as well as my nephew's 5th birthday) and celebrated the rest of Spring Break. 

April 2011

On the first, like a cruel joke, my mother had a procedure that told us she had stage 1 uterine cancer.  Here we go again.  Brian is healed, so now we get another curve ball.  My birthday and Mom's birthday pass; the next week she is in the hospital for another surgery.  But at least that got rid of the cancer.  Brian worked a lot of overtime, but we were saving up for Australia by now which was just a few months away.  Brian celebrated 20 years with the police department.

May 2011

May passed pretty smoothly.  Brian took his two best friends to Police Week in Washington, D.C. to meet up with his other buddies from around the country and around the world.  My grandfather was still in the hospital/rehab in Ft. Worth, and I was feeling worse every day.  Every day I struggled to have the energy to teach.  I thought it was just the crazy year I had had.  That's what I get for thinking.  Finally right before Mom and I left on the cruise, I went to the doctor.  Feeling silly for going just because I didn't feel good, I was soon vindicated because it turns out I was very, very anemic.  Oh goody...iron pills.  Mom and I went on the cruise not knowing what June would bring.

June 2011

Brian finally heard from my doctor and they were panicking #1 because they couldn't find me and #2 based on the blood count they had done on the last day of school, I was bleeding internally somewhere because my iron levels had not improved at all after two weeks of treatment.  I was in the gastroenterologist (how do you spell that anyway?)  two days after I got home from the cruise...scared out of my wits.  A week after that I have a endoscopy/colonoscopy combo to confirm I have an ulcer.  No more Excedrin candy for me.  But once my ulcer was healed, my headaches pretty much stopped too.  A vicious cycle stopped.  Whew.  Less than a week after that we left for Tahoe to see Brian's family.  We had a great visit and even got to see a bear for the first time!  Who can resist trout, I ask you?

July 2011

Still on the mend, I went to Texoma to camp with the exchange students.  But my grandfather who had fought so hard to stay with us, decided it was time to go with my grandmother at last.  His memorial was July 28th.  And just like that, we didn't have our grandparents anymore.  Still doesn't seem real. 

August 2011

Brian and I triumphantly celebrated our second wedding anniversary on the first.  We returned to the Lightcatcher where we were married.  The first day of school was the 22nd.  The Grape Stomp with my girlfriends at the Lightcatcher was the 27th and despite the desperate heat of this summer, we had a great time.  On August 31, Brian and I left on a jet plane for Sydney, Australia. 

September 2011

We had the time of our lives in Sydney for 10 days.  It was such an amazing trip, and I can't believe that I am lucky enough to have stood on the beach on the other side of the world and petted a koala. 

October 2011

Brian, my brother and I went to Arkansas to the Blues Festival to see our family.  It was David's first time in Helena since he was 7 or so.  It was wonderful to bond with another branch of the family.  The Rangers made it to the World Series again but again couldn't close the deal.  We carved pumpkins as a family. 

November 2011

Thanksgiving was the highlight.  Brian's parents were home from Tahoe and joined us as did my Mexican brother, Luis.  David and I couldn't resist taking him for Black Friday shopping at 5 am.  He enjoyed that but the Cowboys game even more. He finally made it to Jerry World in person.  He loooooveees the Cowboys.  Well, no one is perfect. 

December 2011

Brian celebrated his actual birthday on the 11th.  David and I bought Mom and Dad a beagle puppy for Christmas and had quite the adventure in the process.  Winter Break was much needed and thoroughly enjoyed. 

So now, Brian and I begin to plan out our adventures for 2012.  Looks like Scotland is on the agenda for vacation.  Mom and I are going on another cruise...this time with proper suitcases.  Mardi Gras is back on the calendar for next month. 

Looking forward to all of it and having a great year with friends and family.  Here's to 2012 and making it through 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, this is such a great idea! I loved reading the highlights (and low lights) of your year! Here's raising my glass that your 2012 will be filled with wonder and joy!

    Lisa Edmunds

    ReplyDelete