Monday, March 12, 2012

One Year On...

This weekend is St. Patrick's Day.  March 17th.  My nephew's 6th birthday.  A day to be with friends and drink too much kelly green beer.  A day to wear green and pinch those who are not. 

And Brian's one year remission anniversary.

I have been planning a trip to celebrate since January.  He's pretty impressed that I have kept a secret this long. So am I, to be honest.  I would tell you all about it, but he reads this blog and there are lots of details he doesn't know yet.  So--you will have to wait until we get home Sunday to hear the details and how much he loved it!

One year cancer-free.  And even as he makes the one year mark, one of my students is diagnosed with leukemia.  Fortunately, she will be cured as well.  I was devastated by my husband's illness.  I cannot imagine going through it with a child.  She is a brave little girl and her mom is upbeat and supportive.  We plan to get Fight Like A Girl orange bracelets to remind her that though she cannot be at school with us for now, we have not forgotten her.

Speaking of going through cancer with a child, my mother in law went with Brian to his latest maintenance treatment.  It stresses Brian out if anyone but me goes with him; he feels the need to entertain them when he should be resting.  When I go, I have to entertain myself and I know the routine. 

He likes to sleep through a lot of it, and I cannot blame him.  But his mother needed to see what happens to him in a treatment, needed to see what he went through, and I cannot blame her either.  He didn't get to sleep much because she had so many questions, but it was important for her to be there.  You can try to describe the experience, but it's hard to really understand unless you have been there. 

I think Wilma feels a little better seeing exactly what Brian endured...and will still 5 more times before it's all over.  We have a PET scan in May.  I am not afraid of this one like I was the one he had last March.  Last March was the all clear scan, the one that told us the nightmare was over.  This one will just confirm that we still are living the dream. 

Tune in Sunday to hear how he liked his surprise!  It's going to be so great!! Slainte (Cheers) to remission for all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment