Saturday, February 25, 2012

Back to Normal...but Better

Today Brian ran the Cowtown 5k in 36 minutes. 

That's a great time for anyone.  But Brian ran his first 5k today since his remission from Lymphoma.  He didn't make me get up to go watch, but I wish I had...and I knew I would feel that way. 

The week before Brian was diagnosed with stage 3 Lymphoma, he climbed Mt. Tallac at Lake Tahoe.  He did it all by himself.  He dreams of going back and climbing it again now that he is in remission.  Today was a big step in getting back to the top of the mountain. 

Running has become such an important element in our lives.  It symbolizes health to us.  If we can run so fast and so far, illness cannot catch us.  And in my opinion, the farther and faster we run, the better. 

Brian knew he would finish the race today, but he worried that he would not do better than 45 minutes.  Hah.  I pray to finish in 45 minutes.  I knew that he would come in faster than that.  And while I was slightly hurt he didn't ask me to run with him, I knew he would have to leave me behind.  I would have never made him run with me.  So as I ran without him in my races, he ran alone today.

And it is better this way.  Today was about Brian getting back to normal, but better.  He needed do this alone and he didn't have to tell me that.  Someday I hope to be able to keep up with him...hey, maybe even pass him.  But for now, I will go buy a frame for his bib and hang it where we can see it every day.

Every day we will be reminded that it is one year of remission now, and that will steadily grow into many years.

I love you, Brian for your courage and determination and I am so honored to be your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment