Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hello! My Name Is....Toad

Hello!  My Name Is....Toad.

Yeah, I know.  Strange name, but two of the handsomest men I know call me that.  And no one else.

Five years ago, when my nephew was born, my rather mischievous brother thought it would hilarious if Zachary called his aunt Toad, as I am a graduate of Texas Christian University.  Our mascot, for those of you who don't live 'round here or who don't follow college football closely, is the horned lizard or horned frog. 

As soon as Zachary could utter words, Toad just rolled right off of his tongue.  It actually suited me fine because Heather has always been a bit tricky for little ones to pronounce.  Two syllables and the "th" is an added challenge. 

When my best friend Liz had her baby two years ago, it seemed that Toad was going to stick with my nephew. She is also a  proud TCU grad, so when Mason began to talk, I became Aunt Toad to another sweet little boy.

This weekend, we were shopping in Belk together and while Liz's husband and mine were looking for clothes (we don't normally make it such a family outing, but there was a big charity sale), Liz and Mason and I played in the racks of clothes to keep the little man busy. 

"Toad!  Toad!" this little voice would call.  I would pop out from behind a mirror or a rack of clothes and Mason would laugh and laugh and run to his mama.  The other shoppers watched us with curiosity. 

We probably played for a good half hour before everyone in our little shopping party decided they had what they needed and checked out. 

As we waited for Brian to pay, one of the ladies at the charity coupon table near the register said,"I have to ask.  How did you become Toad?"  She wore an amused grin.  Liz and I told her the story while Mason showed off his skills with the alphabet.  She was terribly impressed with Mason and loved the story, too.  She had a story not unlike mine about how her name had become shortened to Aunt Rain.  Turns out she's a former kindergarten teacher. 

We bid farewell to Aunt Rain and the other shoppers and went our separate ways for the weekend, Mason all way saying "Bye Toad!  Bye Toad!"  Ah, melts the heart.

It's good to be a Toad.  I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment