Monday, April 25, 2011

Azalea's Day Out

It  began innocently enough.

Azalea, our cat, has always been curious about open doors to the outside.  After all, Bear found her in my parents' azalea bushes when she was about 5 weeks old...thus her name.  So we always have to watch carefully when we come and go from outside to make sure that she stays put.

And of late, I haven't helped hinder her curiosity.  I purchased a leash and harness for her so that she could go walking in the backyard sometimes....with adult supervision. 

So, I was sad, but not surprised when Brian came home to let the dogs have a potty break today at noon and could not find her. 

Early this morning, I had a difficult time getting Badger to come in the house...in fact, I thought he was gone-- he's not usually that quiet in the yard--and in the hustle and bustle of getting Badger in and dried off, Azalea just slipped right out. 

We never even noticed.  Sneaky little woman.

Brian noticed at noon.  He texted me.  Had I seen her this morning?  Well, she was sleeping on my head this morning...and she was sharpening claws on the carpet in the office while I ran on the treadmill...and then I don't remember seeing her, in fact.

Nuts.

Brian remembered that Badger was paying particular attention to the shed in the back when he was let out this afternoon.  Since I had scoured the house, perhaps I could check out there.

Sure.  I am still wearing my silk shirt and WHITE pants from school (the first time I've worn them, by the way) but every second counts, right?  Missing precious animal, right?  Did I mention it rained today?

Sigh.  Out to the shed I go, calling her name and her nickname.  "Here Mouse, Mouse, Mouse!"  (I cannot explain why my cat has a nickname.  She just does.  And Mouse is short for Mouser.  And I'm pretty sure she's never seen one.  Logic?  Nah.  It's just cute.)

Damned if she didn't stick her face out from under the bottom of the shed.  Holy cow!  Those green eyes just glowed up at me. 

Ok, now how to get her out.  I ran around the entire shed.  The only way it looks to me she could have fit her chubby little boody under there was right where I was standing. I grabbed her and tried to pull her through.  She wasn't fitting. 

Hmmm...Winnie the Pooh Syndrome?  I ran to the garage and grabbed a small digging implement and dug under the shed to make the opening larger.  By then sweet angel had backed up too far for me to grab her again.  She remained just out of reached as I called to her so sweetly. It was like she was taunting me, "Ha ha, you can't get me.  Nyah nyah!"

I called Brian for bright ideas.  "Have you tried coaxing her with her food?"  he asked.  Uh, no.  Not yet.  I picked myself up and ran inside to get the food.  Oooh there is a big glass of wine with my name on it if I ever get this little dear out of here.

I shook the container and then got a little handful, stuck it under the shed.  She inched toward me and the food.  Finally she was close enough to me to grab. 

I stuffed her back under the shed, panting from the effort, Azalea meowing in protest.  Finally I had her on my side of the shed with a firm grip on her.  I grabbed the food, my phone, and the little dear and headed into the house to take stock of the damage to my new white capris.

And now while the Mouser gives herself a bath, I'm enjoying a glass of whine.

No comments:

Post a Comment