Sunday, October 2, 2011

Losing the Iron Skillet

My beloved Horned Frogs are having a tough season.  They really seem to miss the seniors from last year that helped dominate every team they encountered. 

They lost yesterday to an old rival--SMU.  The schools trade custody of an iron skillet, the symbol of winning the game.  We didn't have to lose that game.  The boys had any number of opportunities to get the job done, but ultimately they couldn't do it. 

So, at home in our nice new stadium, we had to hand over the skillet.  Only the second time in 10 years.  And it was hard to see on Facebook...all my SMU friends celebrating, though if TCU can't be successful, at least SMU can be. 

But this morning as I poured my coffee, I remembered my favorite SMU fans.  My grandparents.  I miss them so much it's painful still sometimes, but this morning I had to smile.  They loved sports..football best of all.  And Grandpa loved his Ponies..even through the death penalty and regrowth years. They were thrilled get to June Jones from Hawaii; they had high hopes for what he could do for their program.

So this morning, my Frogs may be one step closer to the Poulan-Weedeater Independence Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl, but my grandparents are having quite the celebration in heaven, I have no doubt.  Heaven help my Horned Frogs...Nonnie and Grandpa--would you put in a word? 

No comments:

Post a Comment