Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Afternoon with the Blum Boys

Today as Brian is working the weekend, my brother, daddy, and nephew (the Blum Boys) invited me to the deer lease to have a look around.  I was flattered...the sacred hunting ground offered to me for the day!  How could I pass up this invitation?

The lease is just outside Graham, and they have a large piece of land for the two of them.  (Zachary isn't quite ready to hunt...but it won't be long, I'm sure.)  We rode out there together in my dad's truck..Zach and I sat in the backseat and he went through my purse until he found something he could play with.  We drew pictures together on my old grocery list. 

When we arrived there were many stern warnings for Zachary and me to stay close and not wander off.  There are snakes (which I have enough sense to avoid if I see them) and wild hogs (which I have no desire to see up close as they can be rather nasty customers.)  We were also to be quiet.  Not a problem for me.  It's a gorgeous early autumn afternoon and I am enjoying the breeze in my face that whispers hopefully it won't be long until I can fling open the windows in the house all day. 

Zachary being quiet on the other hand...well, that is another matter. 

There is no permanent structure on the lease...unless you count the two deer stands, one of which the boys moved to a more stragetic location.  So when I started the tinkle dance thanks to my coffee and water I had on the way out there, I didn't have a lot of options.  Of course I didn't take the opportunity in Jacksboro, half and hour before. 

Finally, I wasn't sure I could wait any longer.  I grabbed a couple of Kleenex from the truck and started off into the trees.  Zachary yelled from the truck, "Where's Toad goin'?"  Crazy, I muttered under my breath.  I took a good look around my selected...uh, area.  Here goes nothing.  I did my thing with my lily white hiney stuck out for the wildlife to be blinded by, the whole time praying that a snake or hog didn't sneak up behind me and take a bite. 

While one never wants to have to make this choice, I have to admit, I felt much better afterwards.  And I had successfully completed the mission without getting dirty.  I have a new talent, it seems. 

We finished up with the deer feeders and cameras and headed into Graham for lunch at Subway.  We were heavily scrutinized by the locals already enjoying their sandwiches.  I guess we just smelled of city folks.  Hope that's not why the deer don't seem to be coming around the feeders.  None of Dad's pictures showed any.  Just wily raccoons and the hogs.

Zachary wasn't interested in a nap on the way home; he was too busy being the Tickle Monster.  Never knew I was ticklish under my chin and on my throat...we dropped off David and Z-man at their house and headed home.

It was a rich, full day and though simple, was a day I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment