Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Awesomeness

My kids and I made it through TAKS Writing today. 

As I sat looking out at them (my colleagues will recognize this as part of "active monitoring"), they were working so hard to do their very best on this dreaded assessment and I realized how much I love them.  Once again how lucky I am to be here witnessing these moments, as nerve-wrecking as they are for everyone.  Not just any old Thomasina gets to be here, on this of all days.

After school, I stopped by the store to buy the fixings for gumbo.  I figured that if my darlings could do something difficult today, I could try something difficult, too.  I have never made gumbo in my life.  But Mardi Gras is next week, and I am missing it this year.  I didn't realize how much until my friend I usually go with starting counting down the days in single digits until her departure.  But you will hear more about that next week...

When I pulled in to the store, I parked next to a truck that had a gorgeous, humongous, fluffy dog inside.  He looked so pleased to be there, just waiting, windows rolled partly down waiting for his people.  I smiled at him as I got out to go in the store and he barked at me. Just once, as if to say, "Hey, nice day!"

On my way home, I drove behind a man in a red truck who selected his music carefully.  Then I watched him perform the drum solos with one hand while he drove with the other.  The truck had a back seat and in that back seat there was a car seat and a little hand waved along with him every now and then.  That dad was really enjoying his ride home. 

As I hit the off ramp, I looked to my right and saw a man walking along carrying a Sonic drink and something else.  As I looked closer, I saw that it was a little Dachsund.  I guess a walk sounded good at first to the little one.  But at least Dad was a good sport and was giving the little one a ride home. 

It seemed everywhere I looked today--all was right with the world.  Doesn't happen often,does it?  And it was definitely the little things today that made me smile. 

Oh and the gumbo?  Awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment