Friday, March 18, 2011

The Luck o' the Irish

March 17th, 7 am.  I wake Brian up for work.  I've been doing that all week as I am on Spring Break.  He's been saving a lucky green shirt to wear, but he's always wearing his bright green lymphoma bracelet to remind himself and others about his fight.

March 17th, 8:20 am.  Nervous as a cat, I decide to bake a sour cream pound cake for lack of better things to do for a few hours.  I am catching up on my Castle episodes on the DVR as I mix.

March 17, 8:45 am.  Splattered with the batter that Badger could not go behind me and lick up (I'm a creative cook.  It's best to stay out of the way and just the let the magic happen...), I decided I better get in the shower.  I didn't want to be late.

March 17, 10 am.  I pull out my perfect pound cake from the oven.  Aw yeah. 

March 17, 10:25 am.  I decide that I had better leave for Brian's appointment. You never know what traffic will be like and I will be venturing over toward ....the zoo during Spring Break!!!!

As I'm driving I feel as though I am in a trance.  He looks amazing.  He feels good.  How could he not be well, right?  I tear up and then I look over and see a billboard.  It has a picture of a soldier and it says BE BRAVE really big.  Uh, ok. 

Y'all I don' know how you feel about signs (from the universe--not unsightly billboards dotting the landscape), but if you've been reading my stuff for any length of time, you know I do.  Especially since my precious Nonnie is up in heaven now. 

So I straighten up a little in my seat, take a deep breath, and step on the gas. 

March 17, 10:45 am.  I pull into the Texas Oncology parking lot.  Brian is right behind me.  I take his hand and we go in, just like all those times before.  (Excecpt we don't look like we are moving in.  No laptop, backpack, etc.)

March 17, 11:30 am.  After his blood draw and a little bit of waiting, it's our turn to see Dr. Redrow. I don't know how Brian feels--except that he just wants to hear the magic words.  I am overwhelmed by being back there again. 

The quiet bravery on the faces of the patients, the sullen determination in the faces of the families.  So many patients smile and say hello.  I don't know if it's because they think Brian is at the beginning of his journey or I just look like a friendly person.  But I want to hug the stuffing out of each one of them. 

Sitting in the exam room, Brian is cool as a cucumber on the outside.  The water drips from the faucet when the nurse last washed her hands and it's driving me crazy.  It's like it's counting out the minutes more we have to wait.  I fidget, tapping my fingers on my purse.  I expect Brian to still them, but he doesn't. 

At last the door swings wide, and in walks THE MAN.  He's a tall, handsome man, good-natured.  He remembers little things about his patients so he can make pleasant conversation.  I really like this man, and not just because he's saving my Prince Charming and because he has saved a friend of mine.  He's just a nice guy.

In just the same way he told us that with treatment Brian would live, he tells us that Brian is in complete remission.  I think I'll repeat it...complete remission.  I am a big girl.  I don't cry right then.  Brian beams for the rest of his visit, of course. 

He must have a maintenance drug once a every 2 months for awhile.  And it has to go in through the port.  I am proud of Brian.  As much as he wants the port out, he doesn't even blink when Dr. Redrow tells him that.  He is, after all, in remission.  Complete remission. 

March 17, 12:15 pm.  Brian heads back to work.  It's just a regular day, after all--right?  We will go out with his parents for dinner to his favorite restaurant to celebrate. 

I head back toward our side of town.  I go to Barnes and Noble and Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I found a book I can't put down---The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I am touched by the way that she may have influenced Brian's treatment with the cells from her body.  I can't recommend it highly enough. 

March 17, 5:15 pm.  Brian returns from work.  He has the new wifi with him.  Praise the Lord!  An added bonus!  I can blog again!

Well, it's fitting really, that Brian got this news on the luckiest day of the year, right?  What a miracle is all I keep thinking.  He did take today off so we could hang out.  So far, we have no real plans, but I'm sure we can dig up some kind of trouble to get into.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment