Sunday, March 20, 2011

This Corner of the World

Last night of Spring Break.  Sigh.  It's been a great week.  Spent quality time with girlfriends.  Shopped till I dropped.  We bought new furniture.  It's looking like a grown up house, I have to say.  Brian is really and truly well, apart from his maintenance treatments.

But as I lay (lie? lay?  I'm the English teacher. I should know this.  Oh well.  I'm on vacation.) as I lie here on the couch on this last night of freedom for 50 days according to my friend Deanna, I am restless and even a little out of sorts. 

There is a beautiful sunset about to occur out the window in front of me.  I love my back yard. The trees and the creek (ok, drainage ditch, but the expert landscaping makes it so much more sophisticated) are lovely. 

Brian is more responsible than I am; he likes to watch the news, reads about it.  It just depresses the heck out of me.  I know, I know.  Especially as an educator and illuminator of young minds (I hope that beverage you were drinking didn't choke you when you read that one.  I was sort of kidding.) I should be keeping up with current events.  But local, national or international, it doesn't seem to matter.  Things are just awful. 

My tiny corner of the world is lovely, but not very far outside of it, it seems.  So tonight on this last night of vacation instead of watching the news like I should to see the devastation in Japan, the new war in Libya in which we probably shouldn't be taking part, the latest murder in Dallas, what the latest mess the legislators made this week in Austin of education, I'm watching The Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner Movie

I'll make an effort tomorrow perhaps to see a bit of the news.  Nah.  Bugs might not be on tomorrow, but there will be another beautiful sunset playing in my backyard.  I suppose for now, it's a little like giving in...getting all my information second hand.  I do realize that if everyone starts to give up, then we really will be in a mess.  But everyone needs a vacation sometimes.  I do realize too that when I finally decide to rejoin the informed world in person that people won't be behaving any better, natural disasters won't have ceased their havoc. 

But maybe the peaceful sunsets will be a little easier to channel when I read about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment