Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Random Acts

I've been in another one of my lulls.  I've missed writing, but I hate the few entries I have that seem like just blather.

But today, today, as early as it is, something magical happened.  I experienced a connection with a person that I didn't even get to meet.  And once again, Starbucks brought us together.

I can't remember if I ever wrote about the sweet angel who sent Brian and me the unsigned card with the Starbucks giftcard in it several months ago.  The card just read that the person was praying for us.  I still have it on my nightstand, though the Starbucks card has already helped me get ready for several school mornings that might have otherwise been much slower starts.

This morning, I nearly didn't stop at Starbucks.  It's a little expensive and I really don't need it--especially as I will be strutting my stuff in a bathing suit on a beach in a few months.  (I'll pause to allow that comical image to sink in.  Imagine the prescription strength sunglasses the rest of the beach goers will have to be wearing in order not to go blind when I reveal my skin to the sun. Prolonged shiver.)

Anyway, a smaller car pulled in the drive thru just ahead of me.  My headlights always shine in the mirrors of smaller cars in a most annoying fashion, so I turned them off while we were in line.  I ordered when my turn came.  I was listening to KISS FM and they were arguing about something terribly inane this morning, so I was about to look for some music when the barrista comes to the window to confirm my order. 

I already had my card out ready to pay; it seems I carry cash less and less these days.  He confirmed my order and he said in an offhand way, as if it happens all the time, "The lady in front of you paid for yours, too."  I was stunned.  This had never happened to me before!  "What?"  I asked him.  "Yeah, guess she was feeling nice today," he smiled and turned back to get my coffee and bread. 

I was still a little shocked as I bent down to put away my card so I could accept my coffee.  My lovely free coffee and cake.  And I was already plotting how I could, on this Tuesday morning pay the favor forward.  I don't know how yet, but I have at least one idea.  And I have to be honest, I hope more than one opportunity presents itself. 

This act of kindness not only made this woman feel good (I have to assume), it made me feel good. And I know she had no way of knowing it would have the intended effect, but I hope wherever she is this morning enjoying her warm fuzzy feeling along with her Starbucks, that she knows I am appreciative not only of the coffee but of the gift she has given me today of the chance to make someone else feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment