Monday, July 25, 2011

Death in a Small Southern Town

My grandpa died yesterday.

He and my grandmother lived for about 70 years in the small town of Bridgeport, Texas.  He and my grandmother raised their four children there.  Their two sons remained there and raised their children there.  A long tradition of Meyers family values has been established there.

When the news about my grandpa reached the town yesterday, friends went home from church and started baking and cooking.

My mother and I went out today to help with the funeral decisions, answering the phone, receiving people at the house.  Most of my family had the same thoughts...and I think just to be near one another.  The visitation and funeral isn't for another few days.

But the food and visitors are already rolling in.  We are trying to keep a meticulous account for the thank you notes to be written in the days to come.  A chocolate chip pound cake, a ham, chicken, enchilada casserole, iced tea (sweet and unsweet), potato salad, cinnamon rolls, even a huge bucket of ice.

We have done all we can to suggest donations to the church instead of flowers, but my grandpa was famous for his beautiful yard and green thumb and I have no doubt that the church will overflow with beautiful arrangements. 

Such strong roots in a small community means that both he and my grandmother touched many lives.  And these people aren't shy about wanting to condole with us.  I only regret not knowing who most of them are!  Being an outsider from "the big city" as I am, I do not know them and they do not know me.

The small town folks are chattier and warmer, that's certain.  Even now as we order flowers for the church or arrange the service, they want to take some time and talk with you.  I am constantly amazed at the steady stream of people in and out of the house, some just coming to check on all of us...some bringing that delicious food I mentioned.  I am grateful for them.  Glad my grandparents had them.  Glad my Bridgeport family will have them in the days to come.

And on Wednesday we will have the visitation with hundreds of people, if it's like my grandmother's.  It's a little exhausting thinking about it, especially since I won't know many of them, but I am so proud of how well loved Grandpa is. 

And finally Thursday, the memorial service.  Many more people, more food.  And by then, I wonder, Will I even be able to taste it?

This has been precious time with my family, cousins I only see about twice a year now.  I know we need to do better; we don't live very far apart.  Seems so incongruous, but we had such fun looking at pictures today from when we were kids. We really need to spend more time together regularly.

So though I have nothing to compare it to, I have to think that Southerners know how to make the death of a loved one a bit easier to manage.  And I do hope it's not restricted to Southerners. Everyone needs to feel the loving arms of a community like this in times of sadness...no matter what part of the country you hail from.

No comments:

Post a Comment