Monday, July 25, 2011

A New Kind of Writing

I am a writer and though it's been awhile since I've checked in here, I think it's time I found my voice.

I am a writer and today, I wrote my grandfather's obituary. 

We write so many things in our lives...daily even.  Lists for the grocery, checks for bills, Christmas cards, reminder notes.

And as many things as I have written already in my life, I truly wasn't expecting to be writing this.  A few years ago, I wrote a history of our grandparents so that someday all of our cousins and our children would know them.  As invincible as they have always seemed, I knew we could not keep them forever. 

Today, that history helped me write what everyone would read about him, his life.  It seemed so stark, so matter of fact to have his remarkable life summarized on a single sheet of paper like that.  I'm not sure how I feel about it still, but we had a deadline staring us in the face, and my mom, aunts, and uncles approved it. 

So, now I have accomplished one more piece of writing. I wish I could say it will be the last obit I write, but I'm sure it won't be.  I just hope it will be many years until the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment