Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dear Kim

Dear Kim,

I know it's been a very long time since we talked...even longer since we've taken a run together.  But I wanted to take a minute and thank you.  As one of my coaches, you helped me so much.  And I have not quit. 

The bleeding ulcer and resulting anemia derailed me for quite awhile.  My last 5k was in January.  But I still asked for and was given a treadmill for my birthday in April.  That just happens to be when I started feeling sick.

But, I refuse to give up.  You wouldn't give up on me those weeks we ran together.  And you helped me not give up on myself, no matter how long it took me to finish a "run."  Because let's face it, I was doing a whole lot more walking than running.  I still pretend you are right there beside me. 

This summer, now that I feel better, more normal, I have started running again.  Thank goodness for the treadmill.  I work up enough of a sweat as it is.  I can't imagine trying to run outside right now!

Badger doesn't trust the treadmill.  He barks at it; Bear trys to lay between me and his brother to protect me and Badger from himself.  He is so patient. 

Gradually I have added more time to my running.  Very little walking for me now.  Today I hit 20 minutes without stopping.  Me!  20 minutes of running!  I had a total of 23 minutes today.  I feel like Wonder Woman.  I am still slow, but as Julie reminded me today, I am WAY faster than my couch. 

I won't lie; the nagging anemia will zap my afternoon energy because I spent so much on the run, but it's not enough to stop me.  I love the feeling of succeeding at this...finally.

I refuse to give up and I know that when it's cool enough, I will be ready to RUN a 5k.  So thank you for making a runner out of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment