Sunday, August 14, 2011

Looking Back

It's been a year now since Brian's diagnosis.  A year. 

He's been in remission for 5 months.  This year has been so full of stress, I can't believe it's only been 12 months.  It seems like an eternity in so many ways.

Brian feels great.  He even passed the city's physical fitness test for a bonus check.  And it's not for cupcakes.  I'm so proud of him.

We are leaving for Australia to celebrate in 2 1/2 weeks.  We can't wait.  It's going to be so wonderful.

I looked back on the first posts on this blog today.  We were so full of trepidation, everything was so unsure.  Now we are full of possibility once again. 

I had to laugh about the comments I had about Brian losing his hair.  That's what freaked me out the most last year.  Do you know that not only did he not look any different to me without his hair, I didn't realize his eyebrows had fallen out, too?  He was my Prince Charming like always.  It wasn't until he had to have his driver's license picture remade (with no hair) that I realized they were gone. 

Now when I see the few pictures we have where he has no hair, it startles me.  He really does look ill to me.  (Sorry, baby.)  At the time though, we were so focused on remission being the only option, I only saw Brian.  Not his hair or lack thereof.

He's still going every three months for his follow up chemo.  No side effects or anything.  Just trying to make sure this awful stuff never comes back.  His hair came back exactly the same color...just a little more wiry.  Ever so slightly wavy.  He was adamantly against it coming in curly.  It cooperated more or less and he has lovely eyebrows once again. 

So, just as I promised in the intro to this blog...despite everything that has happened in the last year, we have been true marshmallows...we refused to be squished.

I look forward to this new year with no illness (for either of us).  We have so much more that we want to do.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment