Friday, August 12, 2011

The Summer of Toad

So, I watched my nephew for most of the summer for my brother.  Free daycare...you are welcome. 

It was quite an education for someone with no children and honestly, limited experience with small children.  I'm used to the 12 year old set.  That's my day to day audience at work.  Much different when they are 5, it turns out.  And 12 year olds who think they are 21, by the way.

My nephew, Zachary, quite simply is pretty awesome. 

1.  He loves music.  His favorite song is "Crazy Girl" by the Eli Young Band.  He knows every word.  And woe be to you if you change the station by accident when it comes on. 

2.  He loves animals.  He is particulary in love with our cat, Azalea, who does not return the feeling.  He tries so hard to make her love him.  Unfortunately, he has the opposite effect on her.  She runs for the hills as soon as she realizes he is in the house.

3.  He loves Looney Toons.  Some of my favorite memories are of watching Looney Toons with my dad on Saturday mornings.  To my chagrin, they no longer have them on Saturday morning cartoons, however, they are to be seen in abundance on the cartoon networks.  And Zachary is unique, as in all things...his favorite is the "Bird Runner"  probably known to you as the Roadrunner.  He will watch a whole hour of cartoons just hoping for one "Bird Runner" cartoon. 

4.  He entertains himself.  I haven't felt well this summer...still trying to get ahold of this anemia.  But that hasn't stopped the little man from finding ways to entertain himself when I was just too tired.  He stays close by and plays with his cars.  He is quite compassionate at age 5.

5. He loves cars.  All kind of cars.  He loves to play with Matchbox cars.  He has hundreds of them.  He critiques peoples' rides as we drive along.  His favorite brand of vehicle is the "JimandCee" .  You might know them as GMC.  That's the kind of truck his daddy has. 

I had a truly fun summer, though sometimes being a guardian of a 5 yr old with no real prior experience could really be trying. 

There are smudgy little finger prints all over the back of my car---windows, doors, you name it. 

He knows no strangers and offers up all kinds of information to them.  Example...telling the lady with the West Highland terrier at the vet the other day about when he was sick with an upset stomach and diarrhea.  Haha.  Kids.

He just busts out with unnecessary noise...one minute he's quiet and completely calm.  The next minute he's hissing and yowling like a cat with his tail on fire. 

He torments my dogs.  He calls it "playing with them." 

He is a bottomless pit already when it comes to eating.  I can only imagine what feeding the boy will be like as he grows up.  Chicken nuggets and Go Gurt are his current favorites.

He can't go to the store with you without begging for you to buy him something...preferably a new Matchbox car or two.  He also can't watch the commercials in between cartoons without begging for the crap that's advertised.  "Will you buy me that?"  was the chime that marked every quarter hour.

I almost hated the sound of "Toad" by the end of the summer, but he's so darn cute, you can't.  He will look up at you and smile and say, "I love you, Toad, " spontaneously.  Who wouldn't melt?  Well, I did...every time.  I don't know what that says about me as a potential parent..hopefully sooner rather than later. 

So, the summer is over.  And I already miss the little dude...unnecessary noises and all.  This summer spent with him was a rare gift...kind of like the rock he presented me with when he was 18 months old and we were exploring outside.  He doesn't remember it and never will, but I still have the rock. 

It may have been free daycare for my brother, but for me, it was the opportunity of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment