Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Later

Ten years ago I was a second year sixth grade English teacher.  It was an ordinary morning.  When the teacher next door came in to say what was happening in New York, I admit, I was a little flippant.  "Flying into the World Trade Center?  A little hard to miss it, isn't it?"  It wasn't until a little bit later that I realized it wasn't a terrible pilot error.  It was purposefully done.  And that seemed even more impossible than an accident.

I turned back to a classroom full of 11 year old faces...some fearful, some indignant, most confused and all afraid.  Our classroom was outside the building, so the first move by the principal was to get us inside.  I taught in the cafeteria the rest of that day.  One by one my students left with their parents.  So much was unknown and families wanted to be together.

My best friend and roommate called me, scared to death.  Her bosses were closing her office midday and she was headed home and she didn't want to be alone. I completely understood.  I wanted to be at home, with her, with my boyfriend, Brian.  But school went on, as normally as possible. I  remember I assigned a spelling lesson that day because it was low maintenance, but it was a chance for the kids and me to focus on something.

I called Brian who worked nights at the time with the Fort Worth Gang Unit.  I woke him with the news.  Very shortly after my call, his unit was called in to go to the airport to guard grounded planes.  For the next three days no planes flew and Brian patrolled the empty airport.  It was truly the first time that I was afraid and instead of being able to hold him tight and be less afraid, I had to stand on my own, to be strong so that he only had to worry about his job.  I hated that.

In the days after, the eeriest thing I think I believe I have witnessed is a sky with no airplanes.  In the years that followed, flying on those planes became more restrictive...liquids banned, no more greeting passengers at the gates.  Ten years later, I still can't watch the recaps and the interviews without getting teary.  I avoid it if at possible.

That terrible day should never be forgotten and I don't think there is a danger of that.  I just can't relive it over and over.  Brian watches the footage unemotionally.  I suppose it's partly his training.  He's never really said how he felt that day...just how he reacted, just the facts. 

We have all been forever changed; fortunately we have emerged better for it as a nation, as people.  God bless all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment