Sunday, September 11, 2011

Aussie Eats

In Sydney, eating and drinking is expensive, but it's a popular social activity.

There aren't many fast food places, not that we were there to sample them anyway.  There are cafes every 200 feet it seems...mostly little mom and pop places...some Aussie chains.  Outside, every cafe posts it's menu to tempt you to enter. 

Once you recover from the sticker shock...it was rare to find a meal for under $15, even at lunch, you choose what you are in the mood for.  There are lots of Lebanese, Italian and Greek places.  Cokes cost $4 at a restaurant, only $2 by the can at the convenience store.  There are no free refills.  Beers and glasses of wine are a minimum of $7 a piece.  And, brace yourself--if you want a cocktail, the cheapest I saw was $13.50.  The most expensive was $17. 

We went to two family "barbies" while we were there.  Probably the best meals we had.  The Aussie barbie is not unlike our own.  However, sausages figure prominently on the menu and steak.  We didn't have any prawns, but I think that was more family preference than anything.  One family we visited has Italian heritage, so we even had homemade ravioli at the dinner.

Chocolate is offered after dessert...little Cadbury minis.  Cadbury is the Aussie Hershey chocolate and they have similar varieties.  They even have a unique flavor of M&Ms...orange chocolate, though it is elusive.  I found them in only shop I visited...and I looked in many. 

Coffee is very important to the Aussies.  It's standard fare after lunch and dinner.  Instant coffee is served in the homes I visited, and it is surprisingly tasty.  In cafes, cappuncino is known as a flat white and is one of the popular choices.  I did see a Starbucks while I was there, but most coffee is found in these little cafes.  I was in coffee lover's heaven once I learned how to order what I wanted.  Our first hotel room even had a French press to make coffee.

We ate and drank well while were in the Land of Oz.  Just be sure your bank account can handle it when you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment