Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Go West

Last Friday Brian and I set out for Lake Tahoe, CA.

His parents spend every summer there.  It's not quite as glamorous as it sounds.  For about 7 or 8 years now, they have worked their buns off at a campground across the road from Lake Tahoe.  Brian's mom is the manager and his dad is the maintenance man.  And believe me, that is grossly simplifying their duties. 

But, you can't beat the scenery any time of day when they actually have a second to look around and they love working with the campers...even if most of them are native Californians...quirky folks, many of them.

We have taken to spending our vacations up there because except for Christmas, it's about the only time we see his parents anymore.  Oh please punish me...send me to Lake Tahoe...the mountains...the lake...the cool air...the woods...oh no!  Not that!!!  Plus seeing my sweet in-laws isn't bad either...

Last year, we spent our first wedding anniversary in Lake Tahoe.  I can think of worse places.  At home it was 100 degrees in the shade.  The lakes are so cold in Tahoe year round, I can't bring myself to do much more than to run in and run out again.  Brian climbed Mt. Tallac.  It was a nice vacation.  Only when we got home did we know something was terribly wrong. 

Just last year, almost a year ago now, we found out Brian was sick.  So,when we left on this vacation last week it seemed a little surreal.  We had come so far...done so much in just under a year.

As we headed out, our little family...Brian, Bear, Badger, and me, I couldn't help but think about what this trip meant.  There was a time when Brian wondered if he would ever be healthy enough to travel again.  I've been so exhausted lately from the anemia and ulcer, everything has been an effort for me. 

One of the books I love to read my students is called Hooray for Rodney Rat.  He is a little rodent who has a speech impediment who turns it into strength when a bully takes over the classroom.  Rodney is picked to lead Simon Says.  He gets rid of the bully by saying, "Wodney says 'Go West.'" The bully misunderstands and leaves forever.  His classmates understands he means to REST. 

As we headed WEST, I couldn't help but heave a huge sigh and think about RESTING.  We were going WEST and I fully intended to REST.  I had  a great week with the family and I did manage to lounge about.  I'm still gathering strength and not 100 % from the stupid ulcer.  Frustrating.  But I'm getting there. 

Brian fully enjoyed his time at the lake though he was terribly disappointed to learn that he couldn't do a repeat hike up Mt. Tallac this year...due to all the SNOW.  Maybe next year, baby.  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment