Monday, June 6, 2011

The Suitcase

My mother and I just returned from a cruise with our friends from school.  We toured the Southern Caribbean for 7 days.  It was my mother's first cruise.  She hadn't even flown since before 9/11, I don't think.

You may recall she's just recently had surgery, so we weren't sure she was going to get to go.  But she got the all clear the week we were to leave.  She dragged her feet on the packing a little bit (even after I went to The Container Store and got her these awesome packing tools).  I knew, inevitably, that I would be packing that suitcase.

But my energy levels haven't exactly been soaring (see about two entries back) and I was trying to close out the school year.  We actually left on the last duty day for teachers. 

And as it turns out, I did have to pack the suitcase.  Now, I knew it was old when I packed it.  The woman bought the thing when my now 33 year old brother went to England with his high school choir when he was SIXTEEN.  (I'll wait a sec while you do that math....)  Yeah, so you putting together that my mama doesn't travel a WHOLE lot, right?

Unfortunately, I didn't grasp the true severity of the situation with the ancient suitcase as I packed.  I mean, this thing should either be burned or be in a museum somewhere.  I still can't decide which. I just knew I needed to get my mom's packing underway so I could go home and finish my own.

Skip to the day we leave. 

Now I want you to picture this suitcase.  It is a large cloth, tapestery suitcase that does roll, but only when you pull it on a little leash.  It does not have a sturdy metal handle that you can pull out to help you roll.

Mom tried to roll it into the airport when we were leaving, but it was a little unweildy and I didn't want her wrestling with it and her carry on. So suddenly I was wrestling her suitcase, mine and my backpack.

Then we arrived in San Juan, I had to schlep it out of the airport and up to the hotel room (we arrived the night before the cruise).  And so on...I have never been more glad to be on a cruise ship in my life and that first vodka tonic went down very easily, I must say.

Fortunately, on the way home, it was a little easier.  We had more help. 

And you can be absolutely sure that Mom will be receiving new luggage at the earliest possible convenience...whether she ever travels again or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment