Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Peace of Mind?

I went to the doctor today.  I was surprisingly calm, considering the way I had been feeling leading up today.  Perhaps it's all the support my dear sister friends have extended.  Perhaps it was having Brian there with me.  Brian who has looked some scary stuff in the eye and said, "BOO!"  Perhaps all of it combined.

Dr. Houston was running late, and though they were very apologetic, I wasn't the least bit upset. He was doing a procedure for a patient and it was taking longer than expected.  I would want him to take his time with me, so no worries here.

I was so tired this morning as well.  I slept last night.  But I put away the laundry this morning before we left and it took about all the energy I had.  Pathetic, isn't it?

Dr. Houston breezed in, a small ball of energy, still feeling the rush from his successful procedure this morning, no doubt.  He asked me some general questions, did a little cursory exam, you know--normal stuff.

Then, he told us what he'd like to do.  Haha.  He'd like to do an endoscopy.  And that will probably confirm I have an NSAID induced ulcer.  NSAIDs, I'm sure you know are pain relievers that are not Tylenol.  I take a lot of Excedrin.  I won't lie. So, that makes sense.  He said that the misconception is that when you have ulcers that you always have symptoms.  But, he said, there is that possibility that the endoscopy won't tell him everything he needs to know.  So, for insurance purposes and for everyone's benefit (!!!), he wants to do the colonoscopy, too. 

Can you feel me clenching?  He assures me that I will be knocked out with some very good drugs and that  I will hardly know anything happened.  Crap.  LOL.

I'm REALLY not looking forward to this experience, but this is the next step.  So, while I get this experience about 14 years earlier than I'm supposed to, as Dr. Houston reminds me..it IS peace of mind.

Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment