Sunday, January 2, 2011

Everything's Coming Up Roses

Happy New Year!

Yesterday we had a little housewarming party/Rose Bowl Party.  Normally I really don't like watching my Horned Frogs on TV.  Bear hides in the farthest part of the house from me; I tend to get a little overwrought and excited and my dog is a sensitive guy.  He doesn't like yelling...even if it's not at him.  (As if I have ever yelled at that angel dog.)  I have no idea why I think they can hear me, but my Frogs are important to me and I take their games seriously. 

Anyway, Brian and I cleaned and cooked as we watched the Rose Parade in preparation for the biggest game TCU has played in decades.  This year is even more special because the combined bands from our three local high schools marched in the parade this year, the only high school band from Texas.  They looked quite impressive as 550 of them marched down the street in unison.  I'm quite proud of being a product of the district as well as a teacher now, so I have taught many of those marchers.  It's a circle I'll gladly continue. 

Good friends came, enjoyed the game with us.  As I say, normally I am a bundle of nerves watching the Frogs on tv, but last night I just didn't feel like we could lose.  My friend Cathy felt the same.  She and her husband, Chris sat serenely on the couch watching the Frogs do their job, one play at a time. 

And at the end, the Frogs had stayed strong and done what they had decided to do.  They won.  They wanted to be champions, and as a proud alum, I felt like it was one of the best holiday gifts any one of us received. 

It was a win for everyone who has ever been told that you just aren't enough....whatever.  Those boys have always accepted with grace that there are things about college football that they cannot change, no matter how good a team they are.  So they do what they can with what they are given.  They are every day heroes, making it happen. 

The boys arrive home today, with stars still in their eyes I imagine.  I know I'm still pinching myself.  It was an awesome way to begin the new year.  Thank you, Frogs.  Everything looks pretty rosy right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment