Monday, January 17, 2011

Working 9 to 5...again....

Julie and I signed up for Luke's Locker Winter 9 to 5.  Uh, brrrr...but we wanted to stay motivated, and it was cheaper for her than the BGO.  It lasts longer and works on different skills.  Our bonus was our Kimi is coaching the 9 to 5. 

We missed the first week becase we were at the Jiggle Butt 5k.  The women only race benefiting the women's shelter.  It was a blast.  We didn't go fast; Julie stayed back with me because it was just the two of us.  It was fun to see the teams who came all dressed up. You could make signs for yourself to encourage yourself in addition to the signs that were already there from the race to spur you to keep jigglin'.  It was very cool; very inspiring.  It took us 50 minutes though because I had to walk the whole way.  It was so cold and I have such a hard time breathing in the cold especially. 

There are so many things to think about...and it supposed to be a sport where you can just let yourself go and you can think about other things.  But I am too busy worried about getting enough air.  But more on that in a minute.

I didn't feel like training this past week for my first week with the 9 to 5.  Seems as though my female troubles are not improving as a result of the exercise and I was in a fair amount of hell this week.  So wogging took a backseat.  Plus, North Texas residents can attest to the fact that there wasn't a real good time to go out and wog without getting frostbite.  Ay yi yi yi.  It's that time of year when I consider immigrating permanently to a beach somewhere, and then I remember my passport is out of date.  It's on my list of to-do's. 

Anyway, this Saturday I woke up and not only was it still colder than my warm-blooded nature prefers, it was misting rain.  C'mon.  Really?  Fine.  Fine. Fine.  Let's separate the real women from the delicate flowers this morning.  So, I went.  Without having trained for a week, not being able to breathe in the cold weather.  In the misting rain.  At 6:30 am on a Saturday.

I'm telling you that not to try to impress you so much as to perhaps illustrate my dedication (or insanity).  Our group is about 15 or so.  Most of them already have better stamina than me. Again, I wonder, is there something wrong with me?  I've been working out about 3 times a week (usually) for 3 months.  Should I really be having this much trouble breathing?  A nagging thought tells me probably not.  Even my brother who loves to tease me about being chubby and out of shape thinks maybe it's time to ask someone professional.

Julie and Kim left me right away.  That's ok.  We don't run on the side of the street with the cemetery anymore.  Dang it.  I can't just flop over the fence when I can't take it anymore.  Oh well.  As Kim helpfully pointed out, there is a large Post Office on our side of the street.  Perhaps they could mail me where I want to go...maybe to that beach? 

I watched the other, slower members of our group as I struggled on alone.  The girl in front of me seemed to be fighting much the same battle I did early on last time.  She would walk on for awhile and then run a bit as her wind would allow her, but that seemed to be mostly when I got close to her.  She didn't seem to want company...as if she slowed to talk to someone that meant giving up somehow.  I know how that feels.  I let her go on.  Mostly because I couldn't get enough breath to catch up to her if I wanted to. I hope she will stick with this.

For some people more than others it's a battle that is hard to understand.  And yet we are willing to fight it, for reasons known only to us.  Even when, as for me, it seems to get harder instead of easier.  My doctor appointments are today.  I'm hoping to come away with some answers.  I'll let you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment