Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

Wow!  87!  That's terrific!  You looked great today, though I know how much you wished you were at home instead of the hospital.  I know it won't be long now.  Every time I see you, you look better and better.  You are a tough Marine, it's true. 

I'm sorry Brian couldn't come with me again.  He had to work the over time detail...the big football game in town and all.  But as soon as that's over, I promise to get him out to see you.  You both are fighters when it comes to illness, wouldn't you agree? 

He thinks you are quite strong, too, you know.  It means a lot to him that he can share such a wonderful grandfather with me. Have you ever told him any of your WWII stories?  You should.  He really enjoys that time period.  He knows quite a bit about it...a sort of an amateur expert. 

If I've never thanked you for the way you raised all of us, I should.  It may have seemed like common sense to you and Nonnie, the way you raised your children and then the way they in turn raised all of us, but I think it took a lot more than luck and common sense to such a terrific family.  Not a screw up in the lot of us.  That took a lot of hard work with the common sense parenting.  And it seems to be inherited or passed down or something because as I watch my cousins with their children, it seems that they are raising their children just as well. 

What a gift you gave us all...the love that it took to create a big family that behaves itself and loves one another is without measure.  That kind of love is pretty amazing and I'm grateful every day to be witness to it. 

Thank you, Grandpa.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment