Sunday, October 24, 2010

Greener Pastures

I didn't make it to my training yesterday. 

All this excitement the last week or so was too much for my little brain and I had a migraine brewing in my brain like the storm outside.  That's what I pictured when I closed my eyes...a lightning storm in my brain.  My meds I take every day to keep them away couldn't do anymore.  So, rather than make myself sicker since I had not been able to work out at all during the week, I stayed in bed. 

But because I missed Saturday's workout, I decided to get up this morning and have walk/jog around my neighborhood.  Bear, my faithful border collie, and I hit the pavement this morning at 7:20 to a sleepy little street.  It was cool and damp, and Bear was very excited to be out with Mama without Damn It Badger. 

I did manage to run a little bit, which made me proud, since as I said, I didn't do anything even remotely related to exercise last week.  But as we progressed down the quiet street, I slowed down to look. 

The houses are tiny, just like ours, in this part of town.  Nothing bigger than 3 bedrooms.  I can almost guarantee they have only one bathroom, too.  The yards are all neat and tidy.  A little paint might be peeling here and there, but it's a working class neighborhood, and parents around here are more likely to spend the money on kids' sports' uniforms first than worry about a little peeling paint around the back of the house. 

Each house I passed had its own unique personality.  Many of them are decorated for Halloween.  Such sweet little homes, just like mine. 

It makes me a little sad that I have been in such a hurry to get the heck out of this area.  I have to remember as I walk along that my desire to move along has only to do with having more space for Brian and me.  To find "our" house.  It has nothing to do with the zip code.  And I get the nicest reminder of that as I walk along enjoying the view. 

In the five years I have lived here, I have done myself a terrible disservice by not getting out and walking about the neighborhood regularly.  I always had other things to do, better things to do.  I never took the time to enjoy what a lovely little pocket of the world I have lived in. 

In  a few short weeks I will live in another lovely little pocket of the world.  I want to begin that new chapter by enjoying the entire neighborhood from the start, not just the little lot I live on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment