Thursday, October 28, 2010

World Seriously

The Rangers are in the World Series at last. 

While a baseball fan, I have not been a Ranger fan since I was a little girl.  To be fair to these boys who have worked so hard, I decided to stay true to my Red Sox (NOT in the play offs, by the way) and not be a bandwaggoner.  The claw and antlers has mystified me slightly, but like the Red Sox team that finally won the World Series this Rangers team is full of the joie de vive one hopes with which men would play this game.

My daddy took me to Ranger games when I was little.  I saw Nolan Ryan pitch though I must admit most of the wonder of those moments was lost on me.  I remember leaving a little early to avoid the traffic and listening to the last inning on AM radio. 

When it became official that the Rangers would be the American League representative in the Series, I asked Brian if he would like to go to a game when they return to Texas.  I could tell he really wanted to go, but the expense was a concern. 

Well, while we will hope the playoffs will be a tradition in years to come, can we guarantee it?  He shrugged and smiled, and I started looking online for tickets.  And since I have not been the Rangers fan, I would like to send my daddy instead of going with him.  His 60th birthday was Tuesday. 

The two men who sacrifice the most in the world to make sure I am happy and want for nothing deserve to see some history being made.  Whatever we paid for these tickets seems like nothing compared to the joy it has already brought both of them. 

Daddy was so surprised when we told him that he had a little trouble processing it at first.  Brian was so excited when we picked up the tickets at FedEx last night that he didn't even make it out of the building before he had the envelope open and was holding the tickets with the biggest grin. 

So, on Halloween, Mom and I will hand out candy to trick or treaters and Daddy and Brian will head to the ballpark.  I hope that the Rangers wake from the coma they seem to be in currently or there won't be much to see.  Looks like they are going to lose Game 2 as well.  Who lets a guy named Buster beat them?  Come on, now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment