Saturday, October 30, 2010

Is It Time Yet?

In the darkness, I opened one eye and looked at the clock. 

4:20 am.  Nope. Not time yet.  I snuggled back under the covers and fought for space for my feet from Damnit Badger, the dog.

A little while later, I opened my eyes again and snuck a peek at the clock.  Nope.  Not time yet.  5:30 am.  Sigh.  I rolled over into my furry cat who was keeping my husband, Brian's bald head warm.  Is it crowded in this double bed or is it just me?

Finally I checked one more time.  5:55 am.  Close enough.  The alarm was going to go off at 6 am, I might as well get up now.  I slipped out of bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping cat, dog or husband and prepared to leave.

It's Saturday, you see.  I've been working all week toward this day.  Time to go see if I have improved even the tiniest bit in my quest to survive a 5k.  I find myself unable to sleep and looking foward to it.  Who is this woman and what have you done with the couch potato I was satisfied with being? 

Just yesterday not only did I run like a superhero through the halls to catch two students who are chronic horseplay offenders during their passing periods (I was like a flipping gazelle!), I signed up with my running buddy Julie for not ONE but TWO 5ks!  We will be running (I hope running) the Jingle Bell Run and the...wait for it...wait for it....the Jiggle Butt Run in January. 

How did it go, you ask?  Well, I can't complain.  I still don't know if I understand the runner's euphoria that my brother describes.  The best I can tell you is that I was excited to go this morning and see my new friends and see how I would do. 

I could look at the cemetery and not see it as my personal place of permanent rest any time soon.  I did run for 10 minutes....not for 10 minutes at one time...but collectively.  I made it to the water stop.  That made me tear up a little (in a good way).  Never made it that far before.  Julie ran off with people at the pace she needed to be at and I didn't think twice about it this time.  The coaches at Luke's are fantastic.  Motivational and always looking for ways to help you on to the next step, even if it's just running from one telephone pole to the next one. 

I feel comfortable now with what I can do.  I gave myself that gift by getting out and "wogging" on my own in the neighborhood in the mornings before school.  A workout buddy is awesome and Julie gave me a priceless gift by bringing me along on this ride in the first place.  But making myself accountable has had some interesting effects on me that I did not expect. 

So now I find myself asking about my next workout, is it time yet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment