Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wogging

So, I'm pretty excited.  I've been up faithfully every morning since Sunday to walk/jog before going to work.

In fact, my body is so easy to train, I've been up before my alarm...at or before 5 am each day.  Wide awake.  Lucky, lucky me.   I am a morning person, but this is ridiculous.  My plan had been to be at work a little later in the mornings because I would work out early, but I have been there by 6:30 every day this week, I think.

I have decided that what I do is wogging--a lot of walking and a little jogging.  I am trying to increase my jogging; I start running and pick a point to which I have to jog.  "Come on Sissybritches.  You can make it that car up there...Ok.  You made it to the minivan...now, jog to the Ford Focus....ok, now you can walk for a minute." And so it goes.  I get in a little over a mile wogging.

The cardio program I downloaded on my cellphone tracks my progress...my route, pace, calories burned, etc.  When I finish, it tells me not only how many calories I burned but what food that equates to.  For example, today I burned off a plum.  Excuse me?  Now, I appreciate the thought that I am going to reward myself for working out with a plum...but I live on Planet Reality.  I plan to have a donut...or better yet a Starbucks vanilla latte and orange cranberry scone as a reward for my efforts.  So a plum doesn't really do it for me.  A plum is what I am going force myself to eat for dessert at lunch so I can have the latte and scone for breakfast.  Hello! 

Still really digging the neighborhood.  It's so interesting the things that you notice when you are out all by yourself with the stars in the early morning.  Wednesday is one of our neighborhood garbage days, so some of the bins were already at the curb.  I noticed as I walked past one house with garbage at its curb that there was a single rose still wrapped in its plastic from the store, as though it had been rejected in its offering. I wondered about its story as I wogged along.  I know there must be a great story there.  I'll write it one day.

The spooky, ooky house motivates me to wog a little faster; I promise you--one day I will be passing by that house and some Boo Radley type will step from the shadows and raspily demand, "What are you doing?" I will have a heart attack and fall down dead right there.  So, I move rather quickly past that one, careful not to crunch down on any skittering leaves if  I can help it.  That way all this effort to be in shape isn't completely wasted.

I also noticed this morning on one of the other streets I travel in the early, early morning that one of the parked trucks had something very interesting tied to its roof.  A large deep freeze.  It was balanced mostly on the roof and tied with a rope.  Uh huh.  Well, it's that time of year for odd, scary things to occur, I suppose. 

On the homestretch there is a sweet white dog with a "Notice Me!" bark behind a big fence.  But at the end of the fence, at the back of his yard, it's chainlink, so I can reach over and scratch his nose.  I think he looks forward to that.  I kind of do, too. 

I'm taking Bear with me again tomorrow for my wog.  Who knows what we will see tomorrow in the predawn darkness.  It's supposed to be chilly.  Must dig out the long sleeves.  Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment