Saturday, November 13, 2010

Love is All Around

Sounds so cliche, doesn't it?  Love is all around. 

But I've been thinking a lot about it today.  I got a giant hug from my four year old nephew at 7 am this morning.  His innocence and joy was a privilege to experience--even at that hour.  We drove down a big hill this morning and he exclaimed, "Wheeeeeee!" all the way down.  At the bottom he giggled and said, "That was fun."  I've got to get one of those for myself.  Can't wait for Brian to be well.  (insert grin)

My border collie, Bear, has been my faithful companion for eight years.  He has a capacity for love and understanding that doesn't seem possible at times.  He loves Brian almost as much as he does me, and he worries over him now, constantly checking on him.  Bear goes a little overboard sometimes.  We can only guess that's what he's doing; all his needs seem to have been met and he doesn't treat me the same way.  It's Brian he pesters.  We can't really recall, but we don't think he was so attentive to Brian before he got sick.  Now he's constantly under Brian's arm.  Of course, Bear's also trying to work in an extra game of Frisbee whenever he can and he knows Brian is more likely to play a second game than I am...

Brian and I dated for a very long time before we married.  A little over twelve years actually.  And while that may seem excessive and sometimes seemed ridiculous, as I received the sad news today that another good friend's marriage did not survive, I have to wonder if it actually wasn't pretty smart on Brian's part.  We certainly know each other well.  I know that there are some situations that not even 12 years can prepare a relationship to survive, but I hope that time gives us an education and a motivation to work through difficult patches. 

We are certainly experiencing a difficult patch at the moment, but in this case we are only closer as a couple.  I'm so grateful. 

Love is all around.  I am fortunate enough to be completely wrapped up in it....my husband, my dog, my nephew, my friends, the rest of my amazing family....if that's not God, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment