Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfuls

I've noticed many of my Facebook friends have posted each day for what they are thankful.  Though I have been rather preoccupied lately, I have at least been thinking each day as I see these posts what I would write.  And now, I think it's time I did. 

1.  I'd like to start with my family.  I have a large extended family that I have the advantage of seeing often.  We always have a great time together--cooking, laughing, playing...there are lots of great memories to relive and infinite new memories being made.  The fam is so big now we usually only see the whole group at the big holidays, but it's treasured time.  This Thanksgiving and Christmas will be a little surreal because my grandmother will not be with us.  She passed away in May.  To her husband, her four children and eight grandchildren, she was the heart of the family.  I know we are all a bit worried about how it will feel to be without her.  But I know that she will be there.

2.  My husband, of course, is a GINORMOUS reason to be thankful.  He's doing so well.  I can't wait for his PET Scan to bear that out.  We only have two more treatments now.  It doesn't even seem possible now.  August seems so far away.  But he's going to be just fine.

3.  Our new house is a pretty big reason to be happy.  Those two bathrooms, you know.  I know that it's also scary because we still don't have anyone to take the little house, but I have faith that it will all work out. 

4.  Brian and I both have great jobs that are pretty secure...I suppose one even more than the other. We both love what we do and come home tired every day, but it's because we have worked hard to make the world a better place.

5.  We have some pretty awesome friends who have been there for us--whenever, whatever.  Especially mine.  Thank you for letting me whine.  Much love.

6.  Our two dogs and cat are pretty cool.  We actually really lucked out in the pet selection department.  I know I complain about DamnitBadger, but he keeps life interesting!  Bear and Azalea just rock the house.

7.  Our in-laws.  I think we both lucked out in that area.  One or both of us could have had a crazy family to contribute to this union. 

8.  TCU football.  I am a rather proud alumnus as most people can attest.  What a great show they have put on the last few years!

9.  My new car, Pearl.  I love my new Xterra.  We bought her in August.  She is beautiful. 

10.  The travel that I have experienced.  Brian has taken me to many wonderful places that I might not otherwise have seen.  He took me camping for the first time. 

11.  This blog.  It's been an emotional few months and having the ability to express myself here is a big reason to be thankful.

12.  My wogs.  When I get out there and do them, my wogs really make me feel good and I can't wait for life to settle down just wee bit so I can get back in the habit.  Especially since my first 5k is Dec. 4th.

13.  My running coaches from Luke's.  Tracey, Janet and especially Kim.  They have helped me so much in my quest to be more fit.  I hope I don't disappoint.

14.  My education.  I have always loved school and I went for awhile.  TCU took good care of me as did HSU.  I am most proud of the masters degree though.  That sucker was hard! 

15.  TX Country music.  I love that we have our own brand of music around here.  Some of my best memories with my friends are these concerts all over the state. 

16.  My brother.  We've been through so much together and I count him as one of my best friends.

17.  Christmas.  I love everything about it...especially the music.  Including that people start decorating before Thanksgiving...though right after Halloween is a little early even for me.

18.  The food I'll be eating with my family on Turkey Day.  I'm sure lots of families put on a good spread, but my family knows how to cook, y'all!  I dream about it for months!  And we love it so much, we usually do a repeat performance for Christmas a few weeks later!  The turkey, the stuffing, the potatoes, the pies!  And me?  I rock the family's special cranberry salad recipe.  Except for this year since my kitchen is still packed up.  I'm kind of bummed about that.  I'll get to do it at Christmas though.

19.  My smart phone.  LOL. I love technology.  It has a Kindle on it!  I think that is so awesome! On vacation this year at Tahoe, I read 4 books on my phone! 

20.  Facebook.  Speaking of technology...I love being able to stay in touch with so many friends--old and new. 

21.  Learning new things.  I realized today as I was picking out wine for Thanksgiving that through my friends and experiences with them that I have learned a lot over the last 2 years just about wine.  I know what a Mal-Bec is and what points mean.  That might not seem like much to some people, but when you used to feel ignorant about such matters and now you don't so much, that's pretty cool.

22.  My Leave It To Beaver childhood.  My parents are pretty amazing people and they gave my brother and me a great life.  We never wanted for anything.  We still don't .  I am so grateful for them.

23.  My new furniture.  Seems silly maybe, but before I got the new sofa, chair and tables this year I had never had new furniture of my own. 

24.  The doctors treating Brian.  Can't believe I got this far without remembering to mention the 3 reasons my gorgeous husband is thriving today.  Dr. Arnouville, Dr. Collins, and Dr. Redrow.  Dr. Arnouville--thank you for taking that little mass so seriously.  Dr. Collins--thank you for the no B.S. approach and for getting the biopsy done so quickly.  Dr. Redrow...well, I don't know if I have the words.  You are a man of few words and that makes Brian respect you all the more.  You tell him what he needs to know and therefore what he needs to hear. 

25. The freedom to list all of these things I'm thankful for in the first place.  Thank you to all of those who have given me the luxury. 

And thank you to all of you read my ramblings.  I appreciate it more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment