Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happy Valley

Missed me?  I've been consumed with the process of moving into our beautiful new house. 

It's been quite an undertaking.  It's all coming together though.  Poor Brian is very tired from the physical part of the move.  Me too, come to think of it.  Good thing we bought that new bed...what sleep we get is most restful. 

Our families helped us get into the house; a holiday weekend isn't the best time to put the touch on your friends.  It's kind of hard for your family to refuse you...even if it is deer season.  We didn't have electricity or water until the Monday after the holiday, so that presented a bit of a challenge, but we worked around it.

Our first night in the house was Monday, but it seems a year ago already.  We had a little trouble getting the satellite service installed; that will be remedied tomorrow, fortunately.  It is a hard thing to come between a man and his remote.  Brian has been patient, however. 

The phone service is still on the fritz, but I still haven't had time to get to the bottom of it.  The phone company recommends that you "troubleshoot" yourself before they send a technician out.  Sigh.  I don't wan thte extra expense, so I'm fine with it, but just finding the time to "troubleshoot" almost makes it worth it...whatever it costs.

We have a wasp problem.  As we sit watching our basic dish service in the den, one wasp will fly around the room.  I am the resident wasp ninja.  I stealthily sneak up on it as it buzzes Brian's head and I swat it out of mid-air with my fly swatter and I get it on the floor and give it another couple of good whacks to make sure it's good and dead.  My dog, Bear, is rather sensitive and is worried that the swatter might be turned on him, so he hides and waits for it to be over.  (P.S. there is no way that swatter would EVER be used on that dog, no matter what he did.)

We can't figure out where the wasps are coming from.  Today I killed about 10 of them.  They seem to originate from around the fireplace, but from there we are at a loss.  I am looking forward to the wasp barbeque we are going to have one evening soon as it will be quite cold in the next few days if that is really where they are camping out.  I'm just hoping that they don't come swarming out into the den all at once when we light the fire. Can you say nightmare?  Even the wasp ninja can't handle more than one or two at a time. 

We met our neighbors last night.  Oh my goodness.  I can't imagine nicer people if we had hand picked them.  We got a welcome basket from one neighbor!  I can't wait to bake goodies for them for Christmas.  I have always wanted to do that for my neighbors and just never have bothered because I never bothered to know my neighbors.  Now here in Happy Valley, I can't help but know and like them. 

So, that's what we've been up to the last 10 days or so.  Hope things are good in your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment