Thursday, December 9, 2010

Back At It

5:00 am.  I opened one eye and sighed.  I'd been awake off and on for about half an hour.  Do I really feel like wogging?  Is it worth it? 

Get out of bed, lazy bones!  One foot on the floor...might as well go all the way now.

It's my first wog in the new neighborhood. 

My old neighborhood was filled with sweet, tiny little houses packed together lovingly on gently winding streets.  I wogged up and down, up and down, admiring these tiny abodes built in the early 1950s. 

The new neighborhood is quite a bit different.  The lots are large as are the homes.  They are newer.  There are lovely, mature trees gracing the lawns.  As you turn into the subdivision, you feel as though you have entered a secret place.  That spell becomes even more powerful on foot. 

Granted, in the dark at 5:15 am, it's difficult to fully appreciate the true beauty of the area, but it's still magicial somehow...and bittersweet.  I started this wogging journey in such a different place.

I do love this new neighborhood; I just wish we had sidewalks.  At least I had the choice in the old neighborhood.  It's a little nerve-wracking, even so early in the morning that I have to be even more vigilant to be sure that I don't get squished by someone half-asleep on their way to work.

I even used Nigel this morning to try to map out some kind of a route.  I only managed a little less than a mile this morning, but now that I know where I want to go, tomorrow I can increase how many times I do the route.  This morning, I'm sorry to tell you that I only worked off two peaches.  Sigh. 

So, when I got home tonight, I got the whole family out for another short walk.  I don't know how long we actually walked, but the boys had fun and I got a little more exercise. 

I signed up for a 5k next weekend benefiting the BISD Rose Parade Bands.  I'm once again not sure how to feel about it, but I'd like to see if I can do any better without Bear.  Even if I walk most of it, I'm giving money to a great cause and it's one more 5k that I hadn't done before. 

Some day I will be more of a runner than a walker.  I keep reminding myself of how much better I feel when I do this and let that help me out of bed when I'd rather curl back up and try to sleep for 5 more minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment