Sunday, December 19, 2010

This Thing Inhales Profusely!

One of our housewarming gifts was a super duper vacuum cleaner from my in laws.  My sweet little house had hardwood floors, and we didn't really need a vacuum.  Although I have to say that with the dust/dirt battle we constantly fought in that house, perhaps a steroid-inhanced sucker like the one we just we received might have just done the trick.

Our new house is 80 percent carpet, so a vacuum was a must.  I bought a basic one at Target, but had yet to get it out of the box.  I keep the house tidy, but aside from the leaves the dogs keep bringing in, we just needed a little sweeping on the kitchen tile and in the bathrooms.  Then my in-laws brought in the big guns, and I really didn't need the little one I bought.

I'm hoping that Target will take mine back with no receipt.  Store credit is cool with me.  I practically live there. 

Tonight I decided the floors could wait no longer, so I asked Brian to assemble the Assault Weapon for Carpets.  Dutifully, he got to work and before long I had a super duper sucker ready to work on my carpets.  He gave me a 10 second tour (because that's all I would listen to) and away I went.

Chores are definitely not my favorite, but floors are a total drag.  Never liked sweeping.  Not crazy about vacuuming, but of course tonight it's new and fun again. 

For one, the vacuum, though it's surprisingly quiet for being so large and effective at it's job, scares the snot out of DammitBadger.  Mwahahahahahaha. 

Bear's not crazy about it, but he takes a more practical approach.  He knows if he stays well behind me, there's no way the scary monster machine can get him.  Then eventually he gets bored and goes to another room.  Badger is too busy scaring himself to think clearly.  So he runs around barking at the scary monster machine and when he gets to close to it, jumps back about four feet like he's been electrocuted.  The cat's not a big fan either, but it's not as funny to me because it's really kind of expected, isn't it?  She runs like a thief in the night from hiding place to hiding place when you get too close. 

It's been so long since I've owned a vacuum (oh, wait...I've never actually owned a vacuum) that this is the first one I've had with no bag!  When it was time to empty the chamber the first time, I successfully removed it from the machine and I brought it to the kitchen toward the garbage can.  As I asked Brian if he knew how to open it, I pushed the red button.  Whoops.  Yeah, THAT red button.  I didn't dump it all, and at least I was standing over the tile when I did it.  I'm more of a learn by doing kind of girl.  Brian patiently went and retrieved the broom and dust pan, shaking his head and I replaced the chamber on the vacuum and prepared to attack the next room.

I made it to our bedroom where I discovered that this is such a powerful vacuum, it sucks up tube socks! Whoopsie!  Fortunately I was able to get them back and the vacuum was completely unharmed. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my cleaning experience and in a few days I'll get out our awesome new vacuum and fluff up the carpets again, leaving nice tracks as evidence of its skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment