Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hello Neighbor...

It's a crazy time of year.  I don't think anyone can deny this.  As serene as I want to feel, that's probably as crazy as I actually I am.  Between trying to get school finished for the holidays and not having even started my Christmas shopping and our big family Christmas party being this Sunday, I'm a little frazzled. 

Brian and I were warned that he might experience what they call chemo brain about now...where he gets a bit forgetful.  He's honestly done very well, just as he has with all his other symptoms until today.  He forgot he had a function to attend after work and we made plans with friends.  Fortunately they were very understanding about it; the previous engagement was important for Brian.

I went to Target right after work to get the last gift for my Secret Santa and pick up one or two other little things (found an adorable sweater and a new bottle of wine to try). 

When I got home, I let the dogs out as I usually do and took my packages into the kitchen.  I went back to the front door to plug in the Christmas lights; we have them plugged in right outside the door for easy access.  But the door shut behind me when I leaned out to plug in.  Can't let the cat out, you know. 

So I turned to go back in after plugging in my purple and white homage to the Horned Frogs (yes, my Christmas lights are purple and white), but I had a problem.  The door was locked.  SNICKERDOODLES! 

Ok, you have two very expensive degrees.  Think Blondie.  How are you going to get back into your house. Your phone is on the kitchen counter and every window and door is locked. 

I went around to the backyard where the dogs are still waiting for someone to come and play with them.  "MOMMY!" You can almost hear them yelling as they pick up their frisbees.  No, not right now, fellas.  We have a problem.  I don't suppose either of you grabbed a key on your way out?  No?  Ok.....think...think....

I tried the windows, both doors in the back.  Nothing.  Though I am pleased to tell you that the back of my house is locked up just as tight as the front of my house.  I even tried taking off a screen of a window and getting in.  Nope. 

Well, the next door neighbor is home.  We haven't actually met, but there's no time like the present. 

I went next door and rang the door bell.  My beautiful neighbor, Christina, answered the door. 

"Hi, I'm Heather. I live next door."  "Hi!" she says.  "Um, I have a bit of a problem. I hope you can help me..." 

She let me borrow her phone to call Brian so that he could run home before his meeting and let me in. 

"Brian?"   "Yeah?"  "Um, I locked myself out of the house."  "Well, how did you do that?"  "Honey, how do you think I did that?"  He laughed and laughed.  "I'm on my way." 

Christina and I had a very nice visit while we waited.  We have quite a bit in common, including having moved from the same general neighborhood and tiny house into beautiful big homes on this quiet street.  She was very understanding about locking myself out; she said she and her husband did that too not long after they moved in to their house, too. 

Brian did eventually get home to let me in and then he was on his way to his meeting.  And I have a new friend.  Christina may even get up and go running with me. 

Man, I love it here.  Good thing I have a sense of humor about myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment