Wednesday, December 29, 2010

To Protect and Serve...and Endure


Dear Jillian,

Thank you for your life and service to the people of your community.  It was much too brief.  From what we can gather from the news, you are the hero you dreamed of being. 

But I want you to know that you were a hero the moment you put on your uniform. I believe you knew that.  That's why you were answering the call last night.  Domestic disturbance.  Sounds so innocuous, doesn't it?  What you and all other officers know is that it is potentially the most dangerous situation you will ever walk in to.  But you didn't let that deter you.  You had a job to do.  Probably just a report to take, right?  It's rarely "just" anything, is it? 

Jillian, I am perhaps more in awe of your choice in careers than many other high achieving young people.  But let me explain.  You are a beautiful, intelligent, exuberant spirit.  You could do whatever you like, and you chose law enforcement in your own community.  What a tribute to those around you.  From what I see on the news, you knew from the time you were in middle school you wanted to be a police officer and you achieved your goal.  Thank you for choosing such a challenging profession.  It required more of a commitment than I know you hoped that you would have to give, but as an officer you knew it might come this. All officers do. 

I know that I could not do your job. I considered it.  I decided instead that my commitment to the community is to support an officer like you.  It's been almost 14 years now.  Some things are easy.  I finally don't mind moving his gun if it's in my way.  For years, I wouldn't touch the thing!  If he's going to be late because a bad guy has just been arrested and has to be questioned, then dinner will be a little late, or I will be dining alone.  Every year Brian makes his pilgrimage to Washington in May for Police Week.  (This May it will be in part in tribute to you, Jillian.)

Some things I never get used to.  How vilified the police still can be for what seem like the smallest things.  How painful it is when an officer dies, no matter where they are in the country.  How senseless and cyclical the crimes are that you all deal with.  Praying I never get "the call" again. 

Brian was in an accident several years ago on his way home from his shift.  His partner called me...it was 3 am.  We weren't married yet, but I was the only family Brian even had in town.  Problem was--I wasn't in town. I was 5 hours away in Lubbock.  I stayed as calm as I could, but I can't imagine the panic and pain of your family; Brian was "only" hit by a drunk driver who neglected to see the big police cruiser he was driving.  He was home from the hospital the next day and so was I from my trip. 

Of course I got a whole other kind of call with Brian's cancer.  But I guess he has an angel like you will get to be now looking after him.  He wasn't seriously hurt in the car accident and looks like he's beat the cancer as well. 

Jillian, I know that if every time a bell rings an angel gets her wings, you probably already have yours.  I can't think of anyone who would object. 

So, Jillian, I know that whoever they give you to look after up there is in good hands.  You will be missed terribly down here, but you do good work.  It's proven.  You will continue to protect and serve.  Peace be with you, Officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment