Monday, December 13, 2010

Oh Mother

I have mothers on my mind today.  Specifically mine.

As Sunday and our big family Christmas draws ever nearer, I know that she has her Mama on her mind.  I have mentioned that this is our first year without my Nonnie.  So far my mother has been the picture of Southern grace and strength, just as she was raised to be and has raised me to be.  I can't help but wonder what she's like on the inside.

Let me tell you what she's like on the outside. 

I have never wanted for anything in my entire life.  I have always been made to feel beautiful, intelligent, and even when I didn't want to be, she made be strong.  I can think of countless examples of when she made me feel like the most special person alive, but a random memory popped into my head today on the way home from school today as I listened to Christmas music.

How many times was the woman "volunteered" for jobs when she wasn't even there to speak up for herself?  Not that she would dream of refusing, another inherited trait from her own gracious mother.  When I was in 2nd grade, I wanted a good role in the Christmas program.  And I was smart enough to know how to get one.  So, when the teacher wanted girl volunteers who already had white leotards at home who could be divinity candy in the program, I fibbed and said I did.  My mommy would get me a leotard.  I knew she would.  And guess who was divinity candy in the Christmas program that year?  Yours truly.  A divinity candy with a slightly guilty conscience, I'll admit, but a better role than just the chorus!

She was room mother, Choir Mother extraordinaire, chaperone--you name it, she did it with a smile.  I hope she loved it as much as I loved having her there for every moment.  I still get to see her every day as I work with her.  Awesome enough but even better when a girl needs lunch money!

I hope that I am half the mom someday that my mother has been to me.  And as we work to get through this next milestone, I know that not only will Nonnie be there with us, she is even more of proud of the family she made.  And I can't think of one reason she shouldn't be. 

Thanks Mom.  For all of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment