Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Does A Body Good?

Ok, so after working like a maniac today (it's the end of the six weeks, you know), I decided that working out could be put off no longer.  My friend Julie, the incredible shrinking woman, has been counseling me on my sensible meals and exercise.  She is a real success story in weight loss and an inspiration.  I believe she's lost 50 pounds...so this is my appointed task master.

After tutorials, I put a sign on the door not to disturb us and locked it.  I knew it wasn't going to be pretty;  I didn't want anyone busting in on us.  I even put paper on the little window...NO peeking, people!  I would soon be huffing and puffing like my high school alma mater's mascot (uh, that would be the buffalo). 

Julie cued up Gillian Michael's and her 30 Day Shred up on the big screen, we moved the furniture a little and away we went. 

Let me say up front that Ms. Michaels has put together a very nice little workout....but I am one out of shape little woman.  Holy crap.  I thought she had to be kidding every time she switched exercises so quickly even though Julie had tried to warn me. Now, on the one hand...it's pretty good that you only have to endure the exercise for a very limited time.  But inevitably, she returns to it.  Sigh. 

There aren't any pre-work out stretches to this workout and I didn't have any forethought on that one, so of course, ten minutes into the workout...I got a cramp...in my butt.  My left cheek.  Argh.  Well, isn't this special? Gillian is telling me to feel the burn...Oh I am, Gillian.  I am, but I don't think  it's quite what you had in mind. 

Finally the ol' cheek relaxed and I kept going.  Next Gillian wanted me to kick myself in the butt for my turn at cardio...well, yes...I'm definitely doing that and have been most of the day, week, year even, but Julie laughed and told me that she's pretty sure that metaphoric butt kicking doesn't count for cardio.  Dang! 

So, I started kicking my butt...feeling the burn.  Then the final straw was when Gillian saved the bicycle crunches for LAST!  My quads were jelly from her little lunges.  My arms were sore from my little 2 pound hand weights.  I've kicked myself in the butt and boxed imaginary opponents (twice).  And now she wanted bicycle crunches to FINISH the workout.  Oh go give yourself a butt cramp, Gillian!  I don't think so!  Not this time, anyway! 

Julie and I have another workout date tomorrow.  That is if I don't need assistance to get up from a sitting position from all these squats...that's probably going to bring on another butt cramp, you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment