Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Super Human

I have always believed that Brian is a superhero.  From the day I met him I was positive.  He must be bulletproof (and when fighting crime 10 feet tall also). 

When we were introduced, I think the friend who made the introductions felt unsure about my choice.  You see, he had given me my choice of three policemen.  I had chosen the last one he thought I would.  He counseled me, "Heather--Brian is SuperCop.  He eats, sleeps and breathes his job.  Are you sure about this?"

It's funny, but I don't remember being that sure about much in my life before or since.  He was in the Gang Unit with basically a completely opposite schedule from mine, but I had to have that man in my life.  And I stayed stubborn on that point for many, many years...well, haven't changed on that point, actually.

The last few days Brian has been up to his SuperCop stuff again....  He's keeping odd hours, following robbers around hoping to catch them in the act.  He's trying hard not to be tired, but it's catching up to him a bit. 

His hair is thinning out more and more every day and I think he's doing whatever he can to prove to himself that he can still do what he wants to do at work.  That he's not all that sick.  I think the hair thing has been such a big deal to us because bald=sick in our minds.  That may or may not be the right way to look at it, but after sitting in the chemo room all day, the people with no hair definitely do not look WELL. 

BALD is another dose of cancer reality that we would be happy to avoid.  We have been quite happy (relatively speaking) the last few weeks.  BALD means more acceptance of what we are experiencing.  (Besides, he is leaving hair EVERYWHERE!)

My SuperCop is more of an In-the-Moment kind of guy, so though we talk every day about things,I hope we are talking enough for him to be able to work through things. 

Brian and the guys, despite their best efforts, did not catch the bad guys during their stake outs this week.  I do hope though that he feels like he is still SuperCop.  He is my SuperCop for sure, and for the way he is taking all of this cancer stuff in stride...maybe even a little super human.

No comments:

Post a Comment